FAKE FREEBIE ALERT – Free Santa Hat – UPDATE
As of 12/3/2012 both the facebook page and the website (http://rockstarhats.com) are gone. If you ordered a hat you will NOT be getting it.
Phishing groups tend to sell the information obtained. Oftentimes fake freebies like this will result in unwanted ads, spam mail, and sometimes even computer hacking. Just because they did not ask for an email or credit card doesn’t mean they do not have enough information (address and IP) to get what they want. If you are worried about a computer attack you can get free software (Avast! is what I use) to protect from viruses, etc. You can also visit http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt063.shtm to find out how to opt out of unsolicited junk mail.
I take my website and my reputation very seriously – when I see something that is too good to be true I WILL investigate to determine the legitimacy of it as a courtesy to my readers despite possible backlash for it. If you see a suspicious freebie, feel free to email the details to me to look into at firstname.lastname@example.org
There has been a FAKE FREEBIE swimming around today for a Free Santa Hat from a site called “Rock Star Hats”. I personally think it is fake and here’s why:
- I couldn’t find a physical address, phone number, or email address for them
- The domain was registered under a cloaked site called Domains by Proxy
- As of August 5th of this year there was NO ecommerce or anything up, just domain registration which has passed through 27 hands since 2007, but hasn’t had anything up on the website until today.
- They ONLY accept paypal as a method of payment is you were to buy something. It’s incredibly easy to set up a credit card payment as a company, so you need to wonder why they didn’t do that.
- They also claim to be in business since 2003 on their FB page but the domain was registered in 2007.
- And 7 measly FB posts since January. FYI – you CAN backdate posts in Facebook. Reader Jesse caught this too:
” i just wanted to add that from my phone it says all the posts they have were added 15-16 hours ago, even tho they have different dates on the computer. and if you notice the only comments and shares they have are recent.”
In my opinion this may be fake and please consider these points before requesting.