Doggie Diaries – Week 4 of Elimination Diet For Allergic Dog
So week 4 and I am seeing progress.
You can see her skin isn’t nearly as red. She is MUCH calmer. She also has more play energy! So I can tell she is feeling good.
She’s even starting to grow some of her fur back around her eyes and on her nose. Molly is looking less and less like a zombie dog and more like a normal dog.
A full list of changes in Molly since starting her on a home cooked diet:
- Skin not red/very few hot spots
- Less nervous licking/scratching/biting
- More youthful energy (she’s 10 years old this year)
- No more excessive peeing/pooping – instead of hourly (or so) needing to eliminate, she does every 5 hours or so
- Pee doesn’t smell horrible
- Poop is solid and not runny/no diarrhea
- Starting to gain weight back
- No fleas – probably not related to the diet but who knows?
- Seems overall happier!
- Some part of her skin look a little dry/scaly
Her diet last week:
- 3lbs cooked ground turkey
- 6lbs mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 bag baby spinach
I cooked and mashed the turkey and sweet potatoes together, then added the baby spinach raw to keep the iron high for her. I also added a sliced banana into her breakfast the other day and she hasn’t displayed any adverse reactions to it. I give her about 2 cups in the morning and 2 in the evening (she’s roughly 65lbs).
This week I will be continuing with adding a banana a day to her food and will start giving her a pure Vitamin E capsule for her skin and coat. Come back next week for an update!